What are the beliefs and values here at Calvary?
Beliefs are important. They are the foundation of every church and organization. We practice these three principles in our beliefs.
IN ESSENTIAL BELIEFS - We have UNITY
“There is one body and one Spirit — just as you were called to one hope at your calling — one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all.” Ephesians. 4:4-6 (CSB)
IN NON-ESSENTIAL BELIEFS - We have FREEDOM
“Welcome anyone who is weak in faith, but don’t argue about disputed matters...Who are you to judge another’s household servant? Before his own Lord, he stands or falls...So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God...Whatever you believe about these things, keep between yourself and God.” Romans. 14:1, 4,12, 22 (CSB)
IN ALL OUR BELIEFS - We show LOVE
“If I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so that I can move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2 (CSB)
- We believe in one God who has expressed himself in personal ways. We know God’s personality as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe the Bible communicates God’s saving message and is our reliable authority in all matters related to faith, salvation, and Christian living.
- We believe that humankind is born with a fallen nature and therefore struggles with self–destructive acts called sin and that continually.
- We believe that unless we experience God’s help and salvation through a faith commitment to Jesus Christ, our future is one of eternal separation from God and all that is good.
- We believe the love and grace of God is extended to every person in the provision Jesus Christ made in his death and resurrection. By turning from our own selfishness and trusting Jesus Christ, we experience a new life being freed from the old patterns of self–destructive acts called sin.
- We believe our new life in Jesus Christ is the gateway to transformation. Following our moment of faith in Jesus, there is another moment when we present our life completely to Christ. We then live under his authority and experience his transforming power to love him and others fully.
- We believe the Christian experience is more than a change of mind. It is accompanied by assurance that is grounded in both the Scriptures as well as the inner witness of God’s Spirit.
- We believe that all who live for Jesus Christ have an eternal future. Our belief in such a future includes both the fulfillment of God’s creative purpose as well as the accountability of all persons endowed with the power of choice.
"In essentials unity. In non-essentials liberty. In all things love." - St. Augustine
We value transformed lives so, we REACH OUT.
We value holiness so, we are becoming CHRIST-LIKE.
We value a lifestyle of worship so, we CELEBRATE.
We value families so, we are INTER-GENERATIONAL.
We value diversity so, we are MULTI-CULTURAL.
Mission & Vision
To make Christ-like disciples in the world.
Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
We exist to become Christ-like disciples who make Christ-like disciples. We believe we do this by loving God, loving others, and loving the world around us as we live on mission.
He said to him, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and most important command. The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. Matthew 22:37-39
How do we go about doing this?
Here at Calvary, we want to create a space where people are encouraged and equipped to grow in their relationship with God, with one another, and those in our community. We do this through our life groups, serving together as a church, and loving our community.
LOVE GOD. LOVE OTHERS. #LOVENOVA
Calvary Church is a member of the Church of the Nazarene
Click on the icon below to learn more about our Articles of Faith